Mar 7, 2013

Don't Distress, De-stress!

Sometimes life gets a little stressful. Like when I realize I’m now an actual adult (my mom said 25 is officially adulthood so I guess it’s pretty final) and I now have to deal with actual adult things. Boo, get outta here, adulthood, I don't like you!

So I sat down yesterday and made some bullet points of things that have been floating around in my head making me feel a little crazy. And then I tried to start getting rid of some of those things, which made me want to just sit on the couch with a spoonful of Nutella and maybe cry a little.

And okay maybe I let myself have a teaspoon or two of that sweet, hazelnut-chocolatey goodness before getting a grip and deciding to de-stress in other ways (than through innutritious "comfort" food, that’ll really be anything but comforting sitting in my stomach later).

These are the little things that I do when in need of a refresh button:

  • Drink a hot cup of water with lemon. It’s energizing, cleansing and aids in digestion
  • Yoga, or even just a bit of stretching
  • Smile! Even if you don’t feel like smiling or think it's super awkward to sit by yourself smiling (because it is), just do it! It sends out endorphins and tricks your brain into being happy! Sneaky body. (Sidenote: I can't say the word sneaky without thinking of this - skip to 2:45 for the best part)
  • Listen to music
  • Take a hot bath or shower
  • Get out in the sun and go for a walk

  • Buy some pretty flowers for your desk!
    • If you ever played The Sims when you were younger, you might remember that their environment level went up when you added some plants to a room. It works for us as humans too! Plants have a calming effect and flowers offer aromatherapy as well.
  • Trade massages with your friend or boyfriend or whomever. Mutual de-stressing!
  • Eat foods like fish, walnuts, almonds, green veggies, or other seeds and nuts. 
    • I'm no nutritionist, but they’re high in omega-3 fatty acids/magnesium, which are said to be calming. 
    • Also, you’ll feel better as a result of eating better, which will make you feel good. Whereas if you go straight for the chocolate, you’ll feel worse and then you’ll stress out that you just stress ate. Amiright?
  • Unplug. If you can, give yourself a certain amount of time that you’re not going to check email or your phone or social media or whatever technological device has you currently captivated.
  • Do something fun that will take your mind off of your life stressors, like reading a book or playing a game
  • Drink green tea

  • Open the window and breathe in the fresh spring air!
  • Exercise – not  intensely, just a light workout to get the body moving and those endorphins pumping


What about you? What are your favorite tricks to de-stressing when life gets a little crazy?

[Source 1 &2/Source 3]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! We love hearing your thoughts!!